Most pregnant women will experience morning sickness at some point in their pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. While some pregnant women in Sri Lanka may have it very badly, others will sail through their pregnancy without a single bout of morning sickness. Some unfortunate Ammas will experience it throughout the pregnancy. Morning sickness is experienced during the day and night and is at its worst early morning.
Morning sickness does not harm the Amma or the unborn baby, but severe morning sickness resulting in weight loss and dehydration will require medical attention. The most likely explanation of morning sickness is the body’s way of reacting to the pregnancy, stress and the production of the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) the pregnancy hormone.
Symptoms Of Morning Sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Burning sensation in the chest
Severe Morning Sickness
Mothers who experience severe form of morning sickness is known as Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG). Repeated vomiting, rapid weight loss and dehydration are some of the common symptoms, thus require immediate medical attention. It causes malnourishment to the fetus and extreme strain on your vital organs such as liver, heart etc.
- Eating cream crackers, ginger biscuits and drinking plain tea in the morning
- Avoid oily food
- Eat small meals regularly
- Avoid cooking
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Rest and sleep
- Avoid smells or tastes that set you off and find out what makes you relax
Enjoy Your Pregnancy
Morning sickness can have a huge effect on the quality of your life. It can
- Prevent you from attending your daily work at home or office
- Affect your social life such as travelling, shopping, dining out, etc
- Affect your relationship with your spouse and other children. You will not have the energy to give them attention
Pamper yourself. This can relax you and take away a lot of stress and fatigue brought about by morning sickness. Don’t feel bad to indulge yourself in a pedicure, manicure or a haircut or give in to those weird and wonderful cravings.
Morning sickness is not an illness, you should enjoy this time to the fullest. Don’t limit as your body and emotions are on a roller coaster ride!
#duringpregnancy #pregnantmother #pregnancytime #pregnancycare, #pregnancycare,