Falls, bruises, burns and allergic reactions, are all very common accidents in the home. This is when a first aid kit comes in handy. With a well-stocked first aid kit, parents can have all the supplies they need to deal with most minor emergencies that children get themselves into in and around the home and outdoors.
First aid kits come in many shapes and sizes and making your own is very easy. You can obtain all the necessary items and place them in a box that is readily available, but out of a young child’s reach.
What do you need for your first aid kit
- Personal items such as medications and emergency phone numbers or other items pertaining to the health of the family
- Check the kit regularly and replenish supplies that are already used
- Check expiration dates and replace any used or out-of-date contents.
- Make sure medications are not contaminated or split
According to the Red Cross, the following should be included in all First aid kits
- Dressings and bandages
- Adhesive bandages of various sizes
- Plenty of Sterile gauze pads
- Gauze rolls
- Eye shield or pad
- Roll of adhesive tape
- Elastic bandage for wrapping wrist, elbow, ankle and knee injuries
- Triangular bandages for making arm slings and wrapping
- Sterile cotton balls and cotton-tipped swabs
Equipment and other medication, should include the following,
- Latex gloves
- Instant cold pack
- Safety pins to join splints and bandages
- Syringe and medicine measuring spoon for giving specific doses of medicine
- Tweezers to remove ticks, insect stingers and small splinters
- List of local emergency numbers
Medication that should be included are,
- Panadol syrup and tablets
- Pediatric cough syrup
- Antibiotic ointment
- Aloe Vera cream for burns
- Calamine lotion for stings
- Hydrocortisone cream, ointment or lotion for itching
- Pas panguwa for cold’s, body aches and fever
- Decongestants to treat nasal congestion
- Anti-diarrhea medicine such as Jeewani
- Antacid to treat upset stomach
- Laxative to treat constipation
Give some thought about the medication you will include in your first aid box. It should be specific to your family’s needs, such as the child’s condition and tendancy to develop allergies and diseases. Add medication and supplies needed for these conditions. Also, be sure to refill your first aid box often with supplies.
Many pharmacies, super-markets and children’s accessory stores in and around Colombo sell first aid kits with the necessary items. However, parents should make sure to know how to use the supplies and how the medication should be administered with the correct dosage.
Many parents don’t realize the importance of a first aid kit in the home, until there is a real emergency, so be prepared, especially with children!
#firstaid #firstaidkit #firstaidkits #Conditionsandtreatments #Firstaidkits #firstaidbox #firstaidkit essentials #prescriptionmedications #medication